Students from the United States

Stu­dents par­tic­i­pat­ing in EPS from the United States can trans­fer up to twelve course cred­its for the se­mes­ter ex­pe­ri­ence de­pend­ing upon their home in­sti­tu­tion. Cred­its trans­ferred to re­place de­sign courses vary de­pend­ing upon en­gi­neer­ing dis­ci­pline. Lower and up­per di­vi­sion hu­man­i­ties cred­its can also be earned and trans­ferred. Con­tact your in­ter­na­tional of­fice and/​or your de­part­ment of­fice to en­sure credit transfer.


All classes are taught in Eng­lish and the lan­guage of com­mu­ni­ca­tion is Eng­lish. Stu­dents from the United States will be ex­posed to the lan­guage of their EPS site in­sti­tu­tion through cul­tural broad­en­ing lec­tures. These lec­tures are en­joy­able, en­ter­tain­ing, and aug­ment the EPS de­sign experience.


The cost of par­tic­i­pat­ing in EPS is rea­son­able. If there is a Mem­o­ran­dum of Un­der­stand­ing (MOU)* be­tween their home in­sti­tu­tion and the EPS site in­sti­tu­tion, U.S. stu­dents par­tic­i­pat­ing in EPS gen­er­ally pay tu­ition to their home in­sti­tu­tion. Tu­ition costs are han­dled on a case by case ba­sis if there a MOU does not exist.

Other costs in­clude room and board, and travel to and from the EPS site. Gen­er­ally, air­line tick­ets to Eu­rope and within Eu­rope are not ex­pen­sive, par­tic­u­larly off-​season (late Sep­tem­ber through April). Check out any one of the on­line travel ser­vices such as Or­b­itz, Trav­e­loc­ity, etc. for cur­rent ticket prices. Cut rate air­lines are very in­ex­pen­sive for travel within the Eu­ro­pean con­ti­nent. Check out easy​jet​.com, ryanair​.com, nor​we​gianair​.com, SAS, etc. Train trans­porta­tion is well or­ga­nized through­out Eu­rope as well.

Pre­lim­i­nary Tasks, Pass­ports, and Visas

Stu­dents are strongly ad­vised to de­ter­mine what pass­port and visa doc­u­men­ta­tion is re­quired. Doc­u­men­ta­tion from coun­try to coun­try varies and de­pends on cit­i­zen­ship and des­ti­na­tion. In most in­stances this in­for­ma­tion can be found from con­sulate or em­bassy of­fices or their web­sites or sim­ply by ask­ing your in­ter­na­tional of­fice. Pass­ports and visas re­quire time. Stu­dents are en­cour­aged to be­gin this process as soon as pos­si­ble. In a few cases visas are not re­quired. In most coun­tries how­ever, im­proper visa and pass­port doc­u­men­ta­tion will re­sult in ex­pul­sion from a country.

*Mem­o­radum of Un­der­stand­ing (MOU) — a signed agree­ment be­tween uni­ver­si­ties for­mal­iz­ing in­ter­na­tional ex­change and how in­ter­na­tional ex­change stu­dents are han­dled. be­tween par­tic­i­pat­ing uni­ver­si­ties. Check with your in­ter­na­tional of­fice to see if an MOU exists.